Friday, June 15, 2012

Your Dad, PART II



Dear Monsters,

We're still talking about your dad and my point is this: we fought as much as we played, and I have always looked up to your dad for two main reasons: 



1) The obvious: he's bigger than I am, so I have to look up. By the way, shorter people will frequently be the first to notice if a taller person needs a tissue.


2) The mostly obvious: there's a lot to admire about him, even when he needs to wipe a booger. 



That holding true from childhood into adulthood, I bet he can do a bunch of super stuff these days.


I bet he can pick you right up off your feet and carry you over his head. I bet he can make you into an airplane that flies all over the world.




I bet he can read stories in fun voices and show you how to do things like count and swim and fish and ride a bike. I bet someday-- you didn't hear this from me-- he'll even help you learn how to drive!

I bet he can help you feel better when you hit your head or scrape your knee or stub your toe or get a shot from a doctor with a big needle.




I bet he's so brave and strong he can help you do all kinds of new and scary things like make new friends and eat new vegetables.


You want to know what else I bet? I bet you can show him all kinds of things too.










I bet you can show him how you learn and grow and play and imagine and create. I bet only you can show him how you do all those things as well as you do.


I also bet you can show him how kind and helpful and brave you are, and I bet only you can show him how much you love him because only you can give hugs from you.

Happy Father's Day!

Love,
Auntie Hatchetface

Shel Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment